OHGenWeb Queries
December 15, 2017, 02:47:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Query Board Installed April 29, 2008

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: LOOKING FOR RELATIVES OF SHOE STRING SALESMAN WHO WENT MISSING IN DECEMBER 1911  (Read 2384 times)
Phillie

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2013, 12:24:26 AM »

On Christmas Eve, 1911 (yes, that's correct "1911"), a man was run over and killed in Coschocton, Ohio by a railroad train traveling from Roscoe to Mt. Brinkhaven. He carried no identification and the only clue as to whom he might be was the presence of a large quantity of shoe strings found around his body. His death certificate (#166) was signed by Coschocton physician and coroner, Dr. J. D. Lower, who listed him as an "unidentified white male; probable shoe string peddler." He was buried in a pauper's grave in South Lawn Cemetery in Coschocton. His gravestone is engraved simply "No. 166." My sister-in-law who lives in Coschocton recently saw this man's grave and, knowing my work in genealogy, told me about it and asked if there might be any way to find his family. So-o-o, somewhere in an Ohio town is a family whose husband and father never arrived home for Christmas in 1911 and seemingly disappeared into thin air. Even though this happened 102 years ago, family memories/stories of him have surely lingered on in his descendants, or the descendants of family friends or neighbors. Please put on your thinking hats, all you Buckeyes out there, and see if we can solve this mystery. Thanks, Phyllis MacKenzie, Greensboro, North Carolina -- you may contact me at CarolinaPhillie@triad.rr.com.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: